Deep Purple and stuff


It’s not a completely white room, but
when I look at my new black curtains,
that song pops into my head sometimes.

I bought black curtain panels for the MBR and blackout liner panels. It has been an interesting project. I have never had to buy curtains before. When I’ve lived in apartments they’ve always already had them and I didn’t try to change them out. This window is 8′ wide. I’m using the existing main curtain rod which runs the full width of the window. The curtain rods in the store only extend out to 7′, so you have to be a bit creative to handle a window this wide. The liner panels come with a pack of pin-hooks for you to hang them on the backside of the curtain. The liners are heavier than the curtains, so I didn’t want the pins ripping through the fabric over time.

I bought two rods, and used the two outer tubes and one inner tube which provided a 10-11′ extension. Then I placed a support bracket every two feet along the wall to hold it up. This window uses 3 black curtain panels and three blackout liner panels. The liners hang from the rod using clip rings, which I bought separately. I ended up making several trips to Bed, Bath, and Beyond as I continued to figure out what was needed and spent close to $180.

If I were to do this over I’d first measure the window and decide what length of curtain I wanted, and how many panels to buy. These are 63″. I don’t much care for curtains that extend to the floor hanging in front of a shallow window. You can find curtain panels up to 7′ long, which is good for tall windows in a house.

I like how it’s turned out. I’ve been buying black furniture pieces, so they fit the decor I’m looking for.


DIY Grid Organizer


I’ve seen these organizers both online and in The Container Store. I was intrigued by the design, and it looked useful. I never bought one. A few weeks ago I saw a video on YouTube where a guy made one the size of a letter-size page using a clipboard. I didn’t want anything that large, though. I picked up a small clipboard (6×9″) at Walmart and some elastic but it was still larger than I wanted. Yesterday I saw a video by ModAtHome on youtube where he makes one much smaller using an old hard back book cover.


Since I didn’t have any old books I wanted to “repurpose,” I bought a couple of 5″x7″ canvas boards from Hobby Lobby and about 5′ of elastic. I used black gaffer’s tape to cover the board and sewed seven 10″, and five 14″ strips together making 12 bands, which I fit over the board and wove together. The orange is some 325″ cord I put in as an accent color since I am using this with my MobileEdge bag which is black with orange accents.


What I like about this project is that I can make two of these for about $10, and since the bands are separate, I can switch around the configuration to some extent, if I choose.